- 3 tbsp canola oil -
- 2-1/2 cups 1-inch pieces stale country or French bread -
- 3 cloves garlic, minced -
- 1/2 tsp salt -
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper -
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard -
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar -
- 1/3 cup canola oil -
- 1 large head Romaine lettuce, coarsely torn -
Croutons: Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat. Add bread cubes; cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes or until crusty and nicely browned on all sides. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Vinaigrette: In small bowl, whisk together garlic, salt, pepper, mustard and vinegar. In thin stream, gradually whisk in oil until emulsified. (Dressing can be refrigerated in airtight jar for up to 1 week).
When ready to serve, toss lettuce and croutons with dressing. Serve immediately.