- 1 thinly sliced eggplant-about 1 1/2 lbs. (no need to peel) -
- 1 teaspoon salt -
- 1 eight ounce package mozzarella cheese -
- 1 cup bread crumbs -
- 1/2 cup olive oil -
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese -
- Sliced tomatoes (about 1 lb.) gently mixed with a small can of tomato paste- or if you do not have tomatoes, or tomato paste, use about 1 1/2 cups Marinara sauce -
- 3 cubes Eden basil - defrosted -
1. Slice eggplant, put in colander; cover with salt, plastic wrap and a heavy object. Leave for 30-45 minutes. Rinse off salt and let dry. (If time crunched, omit this entire step which actually just eliminates some bitterness from eggplant)
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Mix together Eden basil cubes and tomato mixture.
4. In deep Pyrex type casserole, layer about 1/3 of each ingredient:?eggplant, olive oil, tomato mixture, bread crumbs and Mozzarella cheese– repeat layering process until ingredients are all used. End with Mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
5. Cover tightly with foil. Bake about 45 - 60 minutes or until sizzle and eggplant is softened. Serve hot.
Cook any pasta – Drain, and while still warm, toss with another Eden basil cube and some olive oil. Serve alongside this casserole.
And, for one more special touch – add some garlic bread to the meal. Make a “schmear” with Eden chopped garlic and chopped parsley cubes nixed with extra virgin olive oil; then wrap bread in foil- and warm in oven.
Thank you to Lois and Roberta of www.koshereye.com for this recipe. Be sure to check out their site!