This pizza dough is a great one to have on hand
- Onion Jam
- 2 tbsp olive oil -
- 1 large red onion, sliced thinly -
- 2 cloves garlic, minced -
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar -
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme -
- Pinch salt and pepper -
- 1/2 cup red wine -
- Pizza Dough
- 2 cups all purpose Flour -
- 2-1/4 tsp Pizza Crust or rapid rise yeast -
- 2 tsp granulated sugar -
- 3/4 tsp salt -
- 2/3 cup very hot water (120F-130F/50C-55C) -
- 3 tbsp canola or olive oil -
- 3 cups mixed field greens -
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes -
- 1/3 cup goat cheese or herbed cream cheese -
- 1 tbsp olive oil -
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, brown sugar, thyme, salt and pepper; cook until softened and lightly caramelized, 10 to 12minutes. Pour in wine. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions have absorbed the wine and turned deep purple, about 5 minutes. (Mixture can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring completely to room temperature before using).
3. Meanwhile, make pizza dough. In large bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour with yeast, sugar and salt. Pour in water and oil, mixing for about 1 minute or until well blended. Stir in enough of the remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, to make a soft dough. The dough should be able to form a ball but still be slightly sticky. Transfer dough to lightly floured surface; knead, adding additional flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes. With floured hands, Divide dough into 4 equal portions.
4. Pat or roll dough into 5 or 6-inch rounds. Transfer to 2 parchment paper lined baking sheets. Prick all over with tines of fork.
5. Bake pizza rounds in centre of preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until lightly golden. (if a crispy dough is preferred, bake for 12 minutes).
6. Meanwhile, in bowl, toss together greens, tomatoes and goat cheese. Drizzle with olive oil.
7. Divide onion jam among 4 pizzas, spreading evenly. Top with salad.bottom third of preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling and crust is browned.