I always resort to this Tuscan classic when I have bread gone stale. The juiciness of the tomatoes and the moistness of the dressing revive the old pieces of bread, which in turn, soak in all the liquids, turning into a flavor sponge that releases its goodness at every bite.
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices -
- Kernels from 2 ears of corn, cooked -
- 2 small shallots, finally chopped -
- 2 tablespoons capers or caper berries, rinsed and chopped, optional -
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, loosely packed -
- 2 limes -
- 6 cups of stale bread, cubed -
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil -
- Salt and pepper, to taste -
1. In a large bowl, combine cucumber slices, corn kernels, shallots, and capers, if using. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
2. Tore mint leaves with your fingers and add them into the bowl.
3. Zest the lemons with a microplane into the salad bowl, cut them in half and squeeze the juice in it too.
4. Add cubed bread and olive oil. Mix gently, until everything is incorporated. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
5. Serve and enjoy!
-Add in any kind of vegetable you have in hand. Peas, broccoli, zucchini, bell peppers, string beans, cooked beans, etc. You can turn this simple salad into a delicious left-overs dish!
-Anchovies and even olives or jarred artichoke bottoms can also be a great addition.
-No bread? Use cooked (and cooled) pasta, rice, couscous or quinoa.