- 4 unripe peaches -
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract -
- 1 tablespoon canola oil -
- Crème Anglaise
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk -
- 1/4 cup parve whipping cream -
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract -
- 4 large egg yolks -
- 1/2 cup sugar -
- 1/2 cup blueberry purée, from a little less than 1 cup blueberries -
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar -
1. Place the soymilk, whipping cream and vanilla into a small saucepan and heat on medium heat until boiling. In a medium bowl, place the egg yolks and sugar and whisk vigorously. When the milk/cream has boiled, turn heat to low, remove saucepan from the stovetop and pour one-quarter of the liquid into the eggs and whisk well. Add half of the remaining mixture and whisk well. Add the remaining milk mixture and whisk well. Return mixture to the saucepan. Cook over low heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat, pour into a clean bowl and let cool 10 minutes. Place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight. To chill more quickly, fill a large bowl with ice cubes and cold water up to 3 inches high and place the bowl of sauce into the ice water and let cool, stirring occasionally, for about one hour.
2. To grill the peaches, heat grill to 500°F. Cut the peaches in half around the pit and then twist to separate the halves. Remove the pit. Repeat for all the peaches. Place the vanilla and oil into a shallow bowl and mix. Add the peaches, cut side down, and swirl the peach halves, cut side down, around the mixture. Using tongs, place the peach halves cut side down right over the grill grates. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until you see grill marks on the peaches. Turn over and cook one minute more. May be made two days in advance.
3. When ready to serve, place the whole blueberries and confectioner’s sugar into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process until completely puréed. Strain through a fine mesh strainer and measure out half cup purée. Whisk into the crème anglaise.
4. To serve, divide the sauce between 8 plates or small bowls and place a peach half on top, skin side down. Store sauce and peaches in the fridge for up to two days.