One adjective can define this recipe: REFRESHING! This salad is tangy, crunchy, slightly sweet and mint-y and the feta cheese adds some protein, calcium, saltiness and creaminess to the juiciness of the summer fruits it
- Fresh juice of 4 lemons (about ½ cup) -
- 2/3 cup fresh mint leaves, loosely packed -
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil -
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt -
- Black pepper, to taste -
- 6 cups (2 ½ pounds) seedless watermelon, cut into bite-size cubes -
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, cubed -
- 2 plums, pitted and cubed -
- 3 cups salad greens (such as arugula, escarole and/or Boston or iceberg, lettuce) -
- 4 ounces feta cheese -
In a blender (or immersion blender) liquefy lemon juice, mint leaves, olive oil, salt and a bit of pepper. Dress salad immediately, or dressing can be made 1 day ahead and kept covered in the refrigerator.
1. In a large bowl, mix gently, with a spatula, the cubes of watermelon, tomato and plum and the greens. Drizzle in dressing and make sure all fruits and vegetables are evenly covered.
2. Sprinkle crumbles of feta cheese on salad and top with a bit of freshly ground pepper.
3. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 hours (although the greens might wilt a bit, but the fruits will have a chance to marinate a bit more in the dressing, making them more flavorful).