Cash in on the great abundance of summer corn and tomatoes. Fresh corn please, it will make the whole difference and it is a snap to prepare. Make sure the tuna is nice and thick, or you will risk overcooking it. Do not cook it a minute over medium rare.
- Corn Salsa
- 4 cobs corn -
- 2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained -
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced small -
- 2 ribs celery, peeled and sliced very thin -
- 1/2 purple onion, chopped fine -
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced -
- 1 tablespoon cumin -
- 2 tablespoons capers -
- 1/4 cup chopped flat parsley -
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro -
- 1/3 cup olive oil -
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice -
- 2 tablespoons red hot sauce -
- 1 teaspoon salt -
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper -
- Seared Tuna
- 1 tbsp olive oil -
- 2-3 tuna steaks, 1 inch thick -
- Salt and Pepper to taste -
1. Bring water to boil in a large pot. Add the corn cobs and cook 5 minutes. Remove cobs and rinse under cold water. Stand the cobs on a board and scrape the kernels off with a knife. Transfer the kernels to a mixing bowl, with all remaining ingredients. Combine thoroughly.
2. For tuna: Heat the oil in a heavy skillet. Season the tuna with the salt and pepper. When the oil is very hot-smoking, add the tuna. Sear about 1 minute on each side for medium rare. Let cool just a few minutes and slice thinly against the grain.
3. Arrange corn mixture on platter with sliced tuna on top or around . Serve at room temperature.