In my quest for creativity last week I turned my sweet and peppery noodle kugel into a delicious onion noodle kugel. The addition of the fried onions really brought this dish up a notch to serve up some wonderful flavor and was still in keeping with the traditional Shabbat noodle kugel.
- 1 large sweet onion, diced -
- 1/4 cup oil -
- 4 1/2 cups water -
- 1 cup sugar -
- 1/2 stick margarine -
- 2 tsp salt -
- 1/2 tsp pepper (or more to taste) -
- 1 12 oz bag of thin noodles -
- 2 eggs -
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar -
- 3 Tbsp oil -
1. Sauté onion in oil and set aside.
2. Boil water, sugar, margarine, salt and pepper. Once it reaches a boil remove from heat and add the noodles. Let the noodles soften and absorb all the water.
2. Once the noodles have cooled slightly, add the oil, brown sugar, eggs, and fried onion. Mix well and pour into 2 well greased loaf pans or a very well greased bundt pan and bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours until top is golden brown.