Tuna is a staple in most families. It
- 1 cup chopped scallions -
- 2 Tbsp oil or butter -
- 4 Tbsp flour -
- 1½ cups milk or unsweetened soy milk -
- 2 cans tuna, drained -
- 1–1½ cups crushed potato chips -
- seasoned salt and pepper to taste -
1. Sauté scallions in oil for a few minutes. While still on flame, stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in milk and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 1–2 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat. Stir in tuna, seasoning and half the potato chips. Mix well.
2. Pour into small narrow loaf pan or small round pan. Sprinkle with remaining chips.
3. Bake at 350°F/180°C for approximately 20 minutes. Serve hot with potato chips and a fresh salad on the side.
Important: If your custom is not to eat fish and milk, be sure to use the oil and soy milk alternative. Both ways come out equally delicious.
Tip: You can make this in mini muffin tins as well (see photo). Your kids will love these individual servings and will not hesitate to eat a few, especially if you use Terra chips (sweet potato chips, beet chips, etc.), which also add color and flavor. I actually had to stop one of my kids from finishing them all off after the photo shoot!
This recipe appeared in Mishpacha Magazine's Family First Section, Summer 2011.