This soup is known in my house as my daughter
- 1–2 Tbsp oil -
- 2 large leeks, sliced -
- 4–5 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks -
- 2 cups frozen peas -
- 1 stalk celery (optional) -
- ½ cup quick-cooking oats -
- salt and pepper, to taste -
- 1 cup milk (low-fat is fine) -
In a large pot, heat oil. Add the leeks and carrots and sauté slowly to let them caramelize.
(If you’re in a rush, you can skip this step.)
Add water to cover and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, add peas, and let cook for about 20 minutes more. Add oats, let cook for 5 more minutes, season again, and use a hand blender to break up any big pieces that remain. Stir in milk and reheat gently before serving.
This recipe appeared in Mishpacha Magazine, July 2012.