Ceviche is thought to be of Mexican origin, and is still very popular in Mexico today. This is an excellent low fat dish.
- 2 lbs. Tilapia fillets, finely diced -
- 1 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed -
- 1/2 cup English cucumbers, finely diced -
- 1/4 cup celery, finely diced -
- ½ cup tomato, seeded and chopped -
- 2 green onions, chopped -
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped -
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper -
- 2-3 tbsp taco sauce (optional) -
- 1 tsp hot sauce (optional) -
- 1 serrano chile, finely chopped (optional) -
1. Put the tilapia in a medium bowl. Pour the lime juice over the fish and mix gently to combine. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours approximately.
2. Remove from the refrigerator and drain off lime juice, patting down with a paper towel to dry off. (discard the juice). Add all the remaining ingredients and combine.
Serve on salty crackers.
Tip: For more even squares it is best to have fishmonger cut them for you!
Herzog Wine Pairing:
Drappier Carte Blanche Champagne