My friend Dassi has been raving to me about Ellen's Brownies for years. One day we finally decided that it was time to stop talking and start baking! Dassi took action and actually went over to Ellen to witness the brownie making process in person. She took meticulous notes, and here we have it - exactly as she gave it to me. I knew from the moment I tasted the batter that this one was an absolute keeper (and that she hadn
- 2/3 cup oil -
- 1 1/2 cup sugar -
- 1/4 cup water -
- 2 cups good quality chocolate chips -
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract -
- 4 eggs -
- 1 1/2 cup flour -
- 1/2 tsp salt -
- 1/2 tsp baking soda -
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Put medium pot on fire over a med- high flame. Put oil, sugar and water in pot and let cook till starts to boil (you will start seeing little bubble rising to the top). Shut off flame and add the chocolate chips and vanilla extract, and mix until fully melted and smooth. (use wooden spoon!)
3. Mix in eggs, one at a time until fully dissolved. Mix together the flour, salt and baking soda and add to mixture about a half cup at a time, mixing constantly. Mix just until smooth.
4. Grease a 9x13 foil pan and pour in batter. Bake 35-40 min until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Click here for Chocolate Cream Topping Recipe. (optional)
Note: I like when the center is slightly under baked, so I bake for only 40 minutes.
Note: The chocolate chips you use must be of the best quality, or else your cake will be compromised. Look for chocolate chips that list chocolate as the first ingredient.