This super easy-to-prepare snack/dessert makes us finally believe that it
- 1/4 cup chia seed* -
- 1 cup UNSWEETENED rice milk (or whole dairy milk, coconut, almond, hazelnut, cashew, oat or hemp milk, depending on preference and allergies) -
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped (or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, gluten free if necessary) -
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (or raw honey, pureed dates, and/or fresh fruit) -
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt -
- *Available in health food stores and specialty markets -
1. In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients using a whisk or a fork.
2. Divide mix into 4 smaller containers.
3. Allow to set for at least 20 minutes, or cover and refrigerate overnight (or for a couple of days). The more it sets, the thicker the pudding gets.
Serving suggestions and variations:
-Add 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder before mixing, to make chocolate pudding.
-Add fresh seasonal fruit. Berries and pomegranate seeds are great, or even thawed frozen fruit.
-Substitute milk for freshly squeezed juice. Citrus is particularly nice, especially when sweetened with raw honey.
-Make banana pudding by using 2 bananas instead of the milk. Place the ingredients in a blender, so the bananas liquefy. You can forgo the sweetener. Ripe bananas are sweet enough.
-Add spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom and/or allspice