Buckwheat pancakes have a place in the American imagination, but rarely at the breakfast table. You do occasionally ?nd them at restaurants, but the percentage of buckwheat ?our is so low that you can hardly taste it. That is a shame, because buckwheat adds a wonderfully warm, toasty, nutty ?avor. (On the other hand, don
- DRY INGREDIENTS
- 3⁄4 cup buckwheat flour -
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour -
- 3 tablespoons sugar -
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder -
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda -
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt -
- WET INGREDIENTS
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk -
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted -
- 2 large eggs -
- Unsalted butter and maple syrup, for serving -
1. For the dry ingredients: Put the ?ours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together to thoroughly combine.
2. For the wet ingredients: Whisk together the buttermilk, butter, and eggs in a second bowl. You can save a bit of cleanup by gently melting the butter in this bowl in the microwave, then whisking in the buttermilk and eggs.
3. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry mixture. Be careful not to overmix, or your pancakes will come out tough; it’s okay if the batter has some lumps. If it is too thick, add a bit more buttermilk, but keep it on the thick side. If it is too thin, add a bit more of either ?our.
4. Place a griddle (or two skillets) over medium heat. Rub it with a bit of oil on a paper towel. When the griddle is hot, ladle out about 1⁄3 cup batter to make circles about 5 inches in diameter. Cook until bubbles form on top and a peek underneath reveals a nice dark brown, about 11⁄2 minutes. Flip and cook until the other side is done. (Adjust the heat as needed after your ?rst batch. You want the pancakes to be dark golden brown and cook reasonably quickly but not burn before the inside is cooked.) You can keep them warm in a 200°F oven while cooking the rest of the pancakes.
5. Serve forth with plenty of soft butter and real maple syrup.
This recipe appears in Michael Natkin's Herbivoracious, A Flavor Revolution with 150 Vibrant and Original Vegetarian Recipes.