The asparagus and mushrooms give real life to the tofu. Marinating the tofu first also improves the flavour. This is an excellent vegetarian main course served over rice noodles.
- 1 tbsp teriaki sauce -
- 2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce -
- 1 tsp rice vinegar -
- ½ tsp sugar -
- 8 oz. extra-firm tofu -
- 1/4 tsp hot sauce -
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil -
- 1 tbsp soy sauce -
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil -
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger -
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic -
- 1 lb. thick spears of asparagus, ends trimmed, cut in 2” lengths -
- 6 large shitake mushrooms, sliced -
- ½ cup vegetable stock or water -
- 1 tsp sesame oil -
- 1 sliced green onion -
1. Mix together teriaki sauce, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar in a small bowl.
2. Cut tofu into 1” cubes, pat dry with paper towels. Combine hot sauce, sesame oil and soy sauce, toss with tofu. Let stand 10 minutes. Drain, reserving marinade separately. Stir marinade into sauce.
3. Heat wok or skillet over high heat. Add vegetable oil. Toss in tofu and stir-fry, turning until browned, about 3 minutes. Remove from wok with slotted spoon.
4. Add ginger and garlic, stir-fry for 30 seconds, then add asparagus and mushrooms. Stir-fry for 2 minutes, then add vegetable stock and tofu, continue to cook 1 more minute or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Stir in sauce and bring to boil. Drizzle with sesame oil and sprinkle green onion overtop.