This Chocolate Mousse Recipe has been in the family for generations! If you ever ask anyone in my family what dessert they want for Shabbos, you can be sure their answer is Chocolate Mousse!
- 7 oz bittersweet chocolate (I use 2 bars Shmerling's Noblesse, or part of Shmerling's Melange bar) -
- 7/8 cup sugar -
- 7 eggs -
- 1 stick (half cup) margarine -
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Separate Eggs. Beat egg-whites with half of the sugar until stiff peaks form.
3. Cream egg yellows with the other half of the sugar. Melt chocolate and margarine in a double boiler or microwave being careful to stir often. Let chocolate/margarine mixture cool a few minutes then add slowly to the egg yellow mixture.
4. Fold the egg-whites with the chocolate mixture very slowly until just combined.
5. Pour half batter into a 9 inch springform pan. Bake 20-25 minutes.
6. Let cake cool completely and then add the remaining batter. Freeze and serve frozen.
1. You can bake less than half the batter or none at all, depending on your preference. We have mixed opinions in my house!
2. For a fancier look, whip a rich-whip and spread on top of the frozen cake. Re-freeze. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings before serving.