- 3-4 large green zucchini (or equivalent) -
- 1 cup of seasoned bread crumbs -
- 1 egg beaten -
- Oil for frying -
- One jar of marinara sauce -
- 16 oz. tub of cottage cheese -
- 1 egg -
- 12 slices American cheese -
- 16 oz bag of mixed cheddar and mozzarella cheese shredded -
1. Cut off tops of zucchini and slice them lengthwise into 1 /2 inch slices. You should have enough slices to cover the area of a 9 b 13 inch pan 3 times. Lay zucchini on a sheet and sprinkle salt on them. Let sit till zucchini sweats. Pat dry.
2. Dip zucchini in egg and then bread crumbs. Repeat with remaining zucchini. Heat oil in frying pan and fry in batches. Zucchini should be slightly tender when done frying. About 2 minutes on each side. Don’t crowd the pan and change the oil midway.
3. Preheat oven 350. Pour 1 cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch pan. Line pan with fried zucchini strips. Mix egg with cottage cheese. Pour mixture on top of zucchini lined pan. Line another layer of zucchini. Layer American cheese over zucchini. Line with another layer of zucchini. Pour another cup of marinara sauce on layer of zucchini. Sprinkle bag of mixed shredded cheese.
4. Bake covered for 45 minutes and uncovered till cheese on top is firm and not loose. Let pan sit for a few minutes till firm. Slice and enjoy!