This colorful and festive dish in a fabulous, flavorful sauce is sure to be enjoyed by all.
- 2 tsp olive oil -
- 1 lb (½ kilo) pepper steak, partly defrosted -
- 1 onion, sliced, optional -
- strips of green, yellow, and/or red pepper, equivalent to 1 whole pepper -
- 1 can baby corn, drained, cut in half widthwise -
- 1 4–8 oz (110–225 g) can mushrooms, drained -
- 1 cup boiling water -
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce -
- 2 Tbsp onion soup mix -
- 2 Tbsp honey or brown sugar -
In a medium frying pan, heat olive oil. Cut pepper steak into strips and brown in oil. Add the vegetables and sauté together with the meat for 5 minutes. Add the water, soy sauce, onion soup mix, and honey or brown sugar. Bring to a boil, lower flame, and cook, covered, for approximately ½ an hour. Raise the flame and leave pan partially uncovered for about 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced.
Serve over rice or noodles.
This recipe appeared in Mishpacha Magazine, May 2012.