A welcome and elegant change from chicken cutlets. The flavor is fabulous.
- 1 lb (½ kilo) meat cutlets (ask your butcher which cut he recommends) -
- flour, for dredging -
- ¼ cup soy sauce -
- ½ cup water -
- 1½ Tbsp oil -
- black pepper, to taste -
- ½ cup brown sugar, or to taste -
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed -
- ½ package scallions, cut up -
- a generous handful of frozen snap peas or mixed string beans -
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Dredge each cutlet in flour (for smaller size portions, cut cutlets in half) and place in a baking pan lined with parchment paper. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, water, oil, black pepper, brown sugar, and garlic. Pour over meat cutlets and cover. Bake for approximately 1 hour or until done. Add scallions and snap peas; scatter around the cutlets and bake for another 15 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice, if desired.
This recipe appeared in Mishpacha Magazine, May 2012.