Nothing beats the flavor of fresh seasonal fruit, but canned fruit is a good pantry staple for a quick lunch or dessert. In the following festive entree, we combine both fresh and canned fruit with a delicious, refreshing dressing. Try to used canned fruit in light syrup; it has fresher flavor than those in heavy syrup, and is healthier! For the pareve version, see below.
- 2 red apples, peeled and cut into small pieces -
- 2 yellow apples, peeled, and cut into small pieces -
- 2 oranges, peeled, and cut into small pieces -
- 1 medium can pineapple chunks, drained -
- 1 medium can fruit cocktail, drained -
- 2 pints (small baskets) fresh strawberries, cut in quarters or halves -
- 1 small bag mini-marshmallows -
- handful sweetened coconut -
- ½ cup sour cream -
- 1 tbsp honey -
1. Mix all the fruit together in a bowl. Add the marshmallows and gently toss together.
2. Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over fruit and mix just until combined. You don’t want it to be mushy. Let it marinate for a while in the fridge.
3. Spoon into serving dishes and top with sweetened coconut. This lasts a few days in the refrigerator, so it can be made in advance. If necessary, add more dressing, using the same proportion of sour cream and honey.
Variation: To make it @@pareve@@, omit the sour cream and use ¼ cup red wine combined with 1 tsp honey. Top with a dollop of pareve whipped cream (optional).
Note: Use good quality fruit for optimal taste. Apples should be firm, crisp, and well-shaped. Oranges should be firm and heavy for their size. Strawberries should be bright red with fresh green stems still attached. Pale or yellowish white strawberries are unripe and sour.
This recipe appeared in Mishpacha Magazine's Family First section, Shavuos 2011.