For the last five summers, I have trekked up to Camp Ramah New England, my childrens
- 1/2 cup warm water -
- 2 packages dry yeast (1/2 ounce total) -
- 1 tablespoon sugar -
- 1/2 cup cold water -
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour -
- 1 cup whole wheat flour -
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 teapsoon for oiling bowl -
- ½ teaspoon salt -
1. Combine ½ cup warm water, yeast, sugar in a measuring cup and stir. Let sit for 10 minutes. Pour mixture into a medium bowl. Without rinsing, measure into the measuring cup another ½ cup water and add the the bowl. Add the all-purpose and whole wheat flours, oil, and salt. You can start mixing with a wooden spoon, but your hands will work best. After the ingredients are combined, place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for about two minutes. The dough can be a little sticky. Place the remaining teasoon oil into the bowl, rub around the bowl and then around the dough and place the dough into the bowl. Cover with plastic and let rise for one hour.
2. Preheat oven to 450°F. When the dough has risen, place it on a lightly floured surface, divide it into four or five and shape into balls. Cover with a towel and let rest for 15 minutes. Get your topping (see options below) ready. Roll out the dough to whatever thickness you like, from thin to thick and place on a cookie sheet or pizza pan. I roll it out between ¼ and ½-inch thick. Use lighter-colored cookie sheets. I start baking the pizzas on the bottom of the oven or the lowest rack, and once the bottom has turned golden, I move the pan to a higher rack. The pizzas bake between 10 and 15 minutes, so you need to watch them carefully and check when are done, the crust has puffed and the bottom is golden.
3. Add one of the toppings below, or use your imagination to create your own. You can add nuts and dried fruit before baking, crushed cookies or candies after baking. You can dust with powdered sugar if you like.
Chocolate Candy and Fruit
3/4 cup chocolate chips
sliced strawberries or bananas
Chocolate candies or crushed cookies
Place the chips on top of the dough and press in gently. Bake on the bottom rack for 5-6 minutes, or until the bottom is browned. And then move to the middle rack until the dough is puffed and the bottom is golden, another 5-8 minutes. Remove from oven and add chopped candies or cookies, sliced fruit, sprinkles, or whatever you like.