I love rice noodles. They are the chameleon of the noodle family, taking on the flavor of whatever sauce or other ingredients they are combined with. Even before my son began eating gluten-free, I was making dishes using rice noodles. Also known as
- 10 ounces medium width rice noodles -
- 1 gallon boiling water -
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil -
- 3 chicken breast halves, thinly sliced -
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger -
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped -
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage -
- 6 ounces sliced shitake mushrooms (around 4 cups) -
- 10 ounces shredded carrots -
- 6 green onions, sliced diagonally -
- 1 cup chicken stock -
- 1/4 cup (Gluten Free) soy sauce (or more to taste) -
- 1 teaspoon sugar -
1. In a large bowl, cover rice noodles with boiling water. Set aside, and let the noodles soak for 30 minutes. Drain.
2. In a large wok or skillet, heat toasted sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, ginger, and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Add cabbage and mushrooms and sauté for another 4-5 minutes until cabbage and mushrooms are soft. Add the carrots and green onions, stock, soy sauce, and sugar. Toss to combine, then sauté for another 3-4 minutes. Add the rice noodles and toss until completely blended with the remaining ingredients. Heat over medium heat for an additional 3-4 minutes until noodles are hot.