This recipe comes from Mrs. Chumie Steinmetz, owner of Kitchen Art in Toronto. She makes these every year for her family Shavuot Kiddush, and when I made them to take the photograph, I fully understood why!:) this cake test best when made at least 24 hours before, and freezes really well.
- 6 oz. baking chocolate melted with one tbsp butter -
- 4 eggs -
- 1 ¼ cups sugar -
- Dash of salt -
- 1 cup flour -
- ½ tsp almond extract -
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract -
- 1 cup chopped pecans -
- 2 ½ containers ( each container is 8 oz.) whipped cream cheese -
- 1 stick butter ( at room temp) -
- 1 cup sugar -
- 2 eggs -
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar -
- 2 tbsp flour -
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler or in the microwave. Let cool for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, add place the eggs, baking powder, salt, flour, and both extracts into a large bowl. Add the melted and slightly cooled chocolate and mix until very well combined. Set aside ½ cup batter. Add the pecans and pour into a well greased 9x13 pan and bake for 10 minutes.
3. Cream the cream cheese, butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and slowly add the remaining ingredients. Pour over the baked brownie bottom. Swirl the reserved cup of chocolate batter into the top and marbleize it by running a knife gently through the top. Bake for 45 minutes.