This is one of my favorite combinations: carrot cake + cream cheese! Perfect for any occasion.
- Carrot Cake
- 3 eggs -
- 1 cup oil -
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract -
- 1 3/4 cups flour -
- 1/2 cup sugar -
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar -
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda -
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon -
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg -
- 1/2 tsp salt -
- 2 cup grated carrots * See Note -
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans -
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes -
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature -
- 3/4 cup cream cheese at room temperature -
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar -
- 1 tsp vanilla extract -
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat eggs, oil and vanilla extract. In another bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Slowly add into the wet ingredients and mix. Add carrots, nuts and coconut. Mix for only 20 seconds more, just to combine.
3. Pour the batter into a well greased 8 inch pan (round or square) and bake 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool completely.
*Note: The trick to this carrot cake is the carrots themselves. They must be grated to a very fine consistency, using the small, fine holes on the grater or the blade attachment on the food processor.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
Mix all ingredients together until creamy.
Cut the cake in half horizontally and place one cake layer on a platter. Spread a cupful of the frosting over the cake and top with the second cake layer. Spread the remaining frosting on the top and sides of the cake. Garnish with walnut halves if desired.