This kugel is so delightful, I know you
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed -
- 1/2 cup soy milk or coconut milk -
- 1 cup flour -
- 1 cup sugar -
- 3 eggs -
- 1/2 cup oil -
- 1/3 cup brown sugar -
- 1/4 cup ground walnuts and pecans, combined -
- 1/4 cup flour -
- 2 Tbsp margarine -
1. Steam butternut squash in a little water until soft, approximately ¾ hour. Cool, drain, and puree. Add the soy milk, flour, sugar, eggs, and oil. Blend together with a hand blender. Pour into a 7x11-inch (18x28-cm) baking pan lined with parchment paper or greased flower shaped mini pans, as pictured here.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl and crumble over kugel. Bake for 45 minutes.
Try this healthier, lower fat version: Use whole wheat pastry flour (no one can tell the difference in this recipe), just ½–? cup turbinado sugar, and in place of ½ cup oil, just 2 Tbsp oil (this is not a mistake!) and 6 Tbsp applesauce. The texture is perfect this way. In the topping, use whole wheat pastry flour as well and 1½–2 Tbsp oil in place of the margarine.
This recipe appeared in Mishpacha Magazine, May 2012.