Everyone will enjoy this Mexican style dinner that is tasty and super simple to put together. Use a milder salsa if you don
- 1 clove garlic, minced -
- 3-4 Tbsp oil -
- 1 lb. ground chicken or turkey -
- 1 jar store bought salsa (approx 15 oz) -
- 8 corn tortillas -
- 2 cups shredded lettuce -
- ½ large purple (red) onion, cut in rings -
1. In a large frying pan or shallow pot with cover, brown the garlic in about 1 – 2 Tbsp of oil. Add the ground chicken and let cook for about 10 minutes on medium flame, stirring occasionally. Add salsa and stir to combine, cover and cook for about ½ hour.
2. Meanwhile, heat about 2 Tbsp of oil in a second frying pan and fry tortillas on both sides for about 1 minute (for lower fat version, use oil spray, such as Pam, instead). Remove from pan and dab with a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Fold in half gently while still warm to create a taco shell.
3. Spoon in warm chicken sauce and add lettuce and onion rings. Serve immediately.
Note: for lower fat version, you can bake the tortillas at 375 for about 5 minutes, until they turn crispy.