This simple to prepare side adds nice dimension to chicken, meat, and even duck main dishes.
- Kosher Salt -
- 2 large turnips (wax root vegetable), peeled and cubed -
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and cubed -
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper -
- 1/2 cup reserved cooking water -
- 2 tbsp. margarine -
- Fried Shallots
- 6-8 french or mini shallots, peeled and thinly sliced -
- 1 1/2 cup oil -
1. In a pot of salted water, cook the turnips and potatoes until soft. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water and strain the rest. Add black pepper, reserved water and margarine and puree with potato masher or immersion blender.
2. Serve warm or at room temperature with crispy shallots. (recipe follows)
1. Place oil in a deep saucepan and heat to medium heat. Test heat of oil by placing one shallot inside. If it blackens within
first minute, oil is is too hot. Bubbles should form around the shallots but they should cook and darken slowly for about 20-30
seconds. If they are blackening too quickly, lower flame.
2. Once brown, remove with slotted spoon and let dry on paper towel for a few hours. Store in a dark dry area for up to 2 days.