The zucchini adds a great taste and is a healthy low-carb alternative to potato kugel.
- 3/4 cup coarsely grated onion -
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated baking potato (about 3/4 lb) -
- 3 cups coarsely grated zucchini (about 1 1/2 lb) -
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced -
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley -
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or carrot juice -
- 1/2 tsp white pepper -
- 4 Tbsp matza meal (or substitute, such as millet, quinoa flour, potato starch or tapiaco starch) -
- Vegetable oil spray -
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. In large bowl, mix onion, potato and zucchini, squeezing out as much of the liquid as possible (and discarding it). Add garlic, parsley, broth or carrot juice, white pepper, matza meal and mix well.
3. Liberally spray a baking pan (8x8) with oil. Place mixture in pan and spread evenly. Cover and bake for 20 min. Remove cover, spray with oil to create a browned top. Bake uncovered an additional 15 minutes or more, until potatoes are soft and top is golden. Serve hot.
Option: For added color or sweetness, add 1/2 cup finely grated carrots.