I included this recipe as a nut-free option for those with allergies. This cream is my super simple no-margarine chocolate icing, and the best part is that there is no need to spread. I simply pour it on slowly and let it settle. If making this into a layer cake, simply spoon some chocolate between the layers and smooth with the back of a spoon. Don
- 12 eggs, separated -
- 2 2/3 cups sugar -
- 11/4 cups oil -
- 13/4 cups potato starch -
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate -
- Chocolate Icing -
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar -
- 1 tsp vanilla -
- 2/3 cup oil -
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder -
- 1/4 cup hot water -
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the beater attachment, beat egg whites with sugar until stiff.
2. Add egg yolks and oil and mix until combined.
3. Meanwhile, grate the chocolate on the larger hole of a box grater over a large bowl. Add the potato starch and mix with a spoon until evenly combined.
4. Add chocolate and potato starch slowly to batter, folding in with a spatula until batter is smooth. Pour mixture into a parchment-paper–lined 9x13-inch pan or 3 9-inch round pans. Bake for 1 hour for the 9x13-inch pan or 50 minutes for 9-inch
5. To make the chocolate icing, place the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, oil, and cocoa powder in a bowl. Add hot water and still until smooth. Pour over cooled or frozen cake.
This recipe appeared in Kosher Inspired, March 2012. Kosher Inspired is a project of Mishpacha Magazine.