We make these all year round
- 2 cups ground filberts -
- 3/4 cup ground almonds -
- 1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp Dutchprocessed cocoa powder -
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar -
- pinch of salt -
- 4 large egg whites -
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract -
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Spread ground filberts and almonds on the baking sheets and toast for approximately 10 minutes.
3. Combine cocoa powder, confectioners’ sugar, salt, and nuts in a mixer bowl. With the paddle attachment, mix at low speed for 1 minute. With the mixer running, slowly add the egg whites and vanilla.
4. Mix on medium speed for 3 minutes until the mixture has slightly thickened. Do not overmix, or the egg whites will thicken too much.
5. Spoon the batter by tablespoons onto a prepared baking sheet. Once the cookies are in the oven, immediately lower the temperature to 320°F.
6. Bake for 14–16 minutes or until thin cracks appear on the surface.
This recipe appeared in Kosher Inspired, March 2012. Kosher Inspired is a project of Mishpacha Magazine.