For this recipe, I like to use one 3.5 oz chocolate bar of 72% cocoa and one 3.5 oz chocolate bar with a nougat filling. It creates a delicious combination of flavors! For an even more sophisticated alternative, use orange flavored chocolate bars. (new product from Schmerling!)
- 8 eggs separated (you will use only 4 yolks for this recipe) -
- 7 oz. excellent quality bittersweet chocolate -
- 4 Tbsp confectioners sugar -
- 1 Tbsp coffee, dissolved in 2 Tbsp hot water -
- 3 1/2 oz. good quality chocolate -
- 6-8 Tbsp dessert whip -
For the Mousse:
1. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (a bowl placed on top of a pot of boiling water). Once fully melted, add the 4 yolks slowly, constantly mixing while adding.
2. Meanwhile, beat the egg whites. When almost stiff, add confectioners sugar and mix until stiff peaks form. Add the dissolved coffee into the chocolate mixture and combine well. Fold the chocolate mixture into the whites until just combined. Place in individual glass cups or dessert bowls. Place in the freezer.
For the topping:
1. Melt the chocolate, then add the dessert whip and stir. Pour over frozen mousse, freeze again.
Herzog Wine Pairing:
Herzog Reserve Late Harvest Zinfandel