Keep this staple on hand throughout Yom Tov. Whip up gourmet omelets for breakfast using this Lechu and an egg. Top it with cheese, salt, and pepper, and you have a Spanish omelet sure to please any palate. At lunchtime, use this mixture as a tasty starter for vegetable soup. I like to throw in some carrots, parsnip, and zucchini, chopped to an even dice, for a hearty soup that
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced -
- 1 each red, orange, and yellow pepper, cut into small, even pieces -
- 1/4 cup oil -
- 1 large tomato, diced, or a 4-oz can tomato sauce -
- 1 zucchini, diced (optional) -
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over low flame.
2. Sauté onion for about 20 minutes, until soft.
3. Add the peppers and sauté another 5–10 minutes.
4. Add tomato or tomato sauce, followed by zucchini. Cook 10 more minutes.
See: Fish en Papillote
This recipe appeared in Kosher Inspired, March 2012. Kosher Inspired is a project of Mishpacha Magazine.