Why make your own mayonnaise when it
- 11/4 cup oil, preferably walnut -
- 1 egg, room temperature -
- 2 Tbls sugar -
- 1½ tsp salt -
- 1½ Tbls fresh lemon juice -
1. Place the oil in the freezer for ½-1 hour until it becomes cold and thick. This will prevent the mayo from being runny.
2. Pour the egg, sugar, salt, and lemon juice into the food processor, using the knife blade attachment, and process for a few seconds until well blended. Then, while the motor is running, drizzle in cold oil in a slow, steady stream until mixture thickens. Cover and refrigerate.
Tip: Walnut oil is a superior-tasting oil that adds special depth of flavor to all foods. Keep your leftover oil after Pesach, in the refrigerator, and use it in any food that you want transformed into something special, i.e. scrambled eggs, fried onions, chicken cutlets, etc. I just finished mine about six weeks ago. I used it sparingly!
Note: To make horseradish sauce, combine 2 parts mayonnaise and 1 part horseradish. It tastes delicious with gefilte fish. To make tartar sauce, add 3-4 small, chopped sour pickles, 2 cloves chopped garlic, and ½ Tbls honey to 1 cup mayonnaise. Process in food processor until smooth. This transforms a simple salad into a delicacy, and tastes so good with fish, especially salmon.