Tofu is your friend
- 1 package firm or extra-firm tofu -
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup -
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce -
- 1 clove minced garlic -
- 1/4 tsp salt -
- 1/8 tsp pepper -
- 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs -
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds -
1. Set the whole tofu block on a plate. Place another plate over the tofu, and any heavy object (such as a large can of juice or a textbook) on top of the second plate, to squeeze the tofu and press out the excess water. Leave on for at least 40 minutes and
then drain away the water.
2. Slice the tofu into thin slices about 1/2-inch thick along the length of the block, and place them in a single layer in a pan to marinate.
3. Mix together the marinade ingredients and pour over the tofu slices. Marinate for at least an hour, turning once.
4. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with
5. To prepare the coating, mix the cornflake crumbs with the sesame seeds in a shallow bowl. Dip each piece of marinated tofu into the crumb mixture, coating both sides. Place the tofu slices onto the prepared baking sheet and spray them with additional cooking spray. Sprinkle the tofu with any remaining coating.
6. Bake uncovered for 30–40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Kitchen Tip: It is crucial to press the tofu before cooking! This important step removes the extra water, making the tofu meatier and more absorbent of marinades and flavoring.
This recipe appeared in Kosher Inspired, Issue 3, March 2011. Kosher Inspired is a product of Mishpacha Magazine.