The Purim madness is behind us, and the Pesach rush begins! This is a confusing time for me – on the one hand I need to shed all those Purim pounds, but at the same time I feel like I need lots of energy to tackle all the cleaning and cooking. (If only all my problems were of this caliber!)
I figure Carrot Cake cookies fits the bill. It continues along with my theme of bite size calories with big cake flavor, it’s got veggies (carrots) for the diet and protein (cream cheese) for the energy, so it’s got to be in the health food category!
The best part about these is that my kids actually loved them – I feel like I tricked them into eating something healthy. They are chewy, cakey goodness, and the cream cheese frosting takes it over the edge. Of course, if you are watching your calories (and don’t mind missing out on some protein), you can skip the frosting – they are equally delicious on their own.
2 sticks margarine
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups grated carrots
Cream Cheese Frosting
4 oz. whipped cream cheese (can use tofutti for parve)
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
2 tsp. milk (or parve milk)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. In a mixer bowl, blend margarine, sugars, salt and vanilla on low speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time.
2. Sift in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix on low speed until just combined. Stir in oats, coconut and carrots by hand.
3. Chill dough for at least 30 minutes, until firm.
4. Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and scoop dough using tablespoon, spacing them 1 ½ inches apart. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. Allow cookies to cool.
1. Beat cream cheese with icing sugar. Add milk slowly until it reaches a frosting consistency. (You may need to add more milk, but do not make the frosting too loose.) Stir in vanilla.
2. Pipe or spoon frosting between two cookies. Store in refrigerator.
Yield: approx 3 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 10 min.
Bake Time: 12 -15 min.