For the best results, make sure the eggs are at room temperature and the food processor bowl and blade are cool.(Dip them in ice water or put them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before using.)
- 3 large eggs at room temperature -
- 4 1/4 cups (1 L) vegetable oil -
- Juice of one lemon (3 Tbsp) -
- 1/2 Tbsp honey -
- 1 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt -
- 1 Tbsp white or black pepper -
1. Beat the eggs in a food processor on the highest setting until a creamy consistency is achieved.
2. Add half of the oil very slowly, one-quarter cup at a time. The mixture should begin to solidify. Tilt the food processor slightly to the side to let air into the mixture.
3. When you have poured in about half of the oil, the mixture should have the consistency of yogurt. Add in the lemon juice, honey and any other flavors, if desired (see below). Blend well to combine.
4. Add the remaining oil very slowly with the food processor still set on high speed. If a layer of oil forms on top, stop adding oil until it is all incorporated.
5. Add the salt and pepper and mix until completely blended. Transfer the mayonnaise to a jar, cover tightly and refrigerate. Its consistency will firm up as the mayonnaise chills.
This recipe appeared in Kosher Inspired, April 2011. Kosher Inspired is a product of Mishpacha Magazine.