This salad is a great way to add beets to your vegetable repertoire. It
- 5-6 medium beets -
- 1/3 cup vinegar -
- 1/3 cup water from beets -
- 1/3 cup sugar -
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed -
- Pinch of salt -
- * Optional Add sliced onion (When onions are added, the salad can’t be frozen and it will stay fresh in the fridge for a shorter amount of time.)
1. Peel beets (wear plastic gloves to keep your hands from getting colored red). Cut into chunks and place in a pot. Cover with water, add a little salt, and bring to a boil.
2. Lower the fire down and cook for approximately 15 minutes. Do not overcook, as beets should not be too soft. Drain and reserve 1/3 cup of the cooking liquid.
3. Coarsely grate in a food processor, or slice thinly. Add the vinegar, reserved cooking liquid, sugar, and crushed garlic. (If the water from the beets is still warm, the sugar will melt easier.
4. Mix together well. Keep refrigerated. Stays fresh for a long time.
Note: This salad freezes very well. I usually double the recipe and freeze half for later use. This avoids having the mess and cleanup twice!
Tip: When buying beets, choose smooth, deeply colored beets without ridges and blemishes; soft spots indicate decay. The green tops, if attached, should be fresh looking. Scrub the beets well under cold running water.