Strawberries have become slightly obsolete due to infestation issues, but I do find it worth the effort to take the time to clean them correctly. If you
- 2 cups strawberries, washed and cut into ¼ inch dice (you can use frozen, cut while still partially frozen) -
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice -
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar -
- 2 cups flour -
- 2 teaspoons baking powder -
- 6 tablespoons margarine -
- 2/3 cup pareve whipping cream, un-whipped -
- Sanding sugar, for sprinkling (Wilton makes a nice coarse sugar with great shimmer) -
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine strawberries, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons sugar
3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and remaining sugar in a large bowl.
4. Cut in the margarine and rub with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Stir in cream until dough starts to come together then stir in strawberry mixture.
6. Drop dough by tablespoon on lined baking sheets, leaving 1 1/2” space between cookies.
7. Sprinkle with sanding sugar and bake until golden brown. Approx. 15-20 min (as always ,watch your cookies because every oven produces different results)