You’ve heard the expression “a rose by any other name is still a rose”? Kind of applies to these cookies as well. They are know by any of the following names; Russian tea cakes, snowballs, butterballs, Greek kourabiedes, Mexican wedding cookies… Many nationalities have their own version of a melt in your mouth cookie. Whether you find them shaped in circles or crescents – they all have that same smooth, creamy, melt in your mouth feel.
Enjoy with a hot cup of tea!
2 sticks margarine, softened
½ cup icing sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
2 ¼ cups flour
¾ cup finely chopped pecans
1 ¼ cups icing sugar for coating cookies
1. With an electric mixer, beat margarine until creamy.
2. Add ½ cup icing sugar and beat until smooth.
3. Add in vanilla and salt.
4. With mixer on slow spped, add in flour until just incorporated. Mix in pecans.
5. Gather dough into a bowl and wrap in saran wrap.
6. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 375
8. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and arrange on a lined baking sheet. Leave 1 ½ inches between cookies.
9. Bake for 12 minutes, or until lightly golden on the bottom. The tops of the cookies should still be pale.
10. Put 1 ¼ cups icing sugar in a bowl and while cookies are still warm, roll them in the icing sugar, making sure to get a heavy coat. Be gentle because the cookies are quite fragile.
Yield: approx 40 cookies Difficulty: easy Prep time: 5 min Bake time: 12 min.