Here is a very tasty way to use up any extra bread crumbs or croutons you probably have sitting in your pantry. I have a feeling you
- 3 large zucchini (do not peel) -
- 1 to 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil -
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper -
- 1 cup flavored bread crumbs, panko crumbs, or leftover salad croutons, crushed -
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or melted butter -
- 1½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese -
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and then in half again. Cut each wedge into 3-inch sticks. Place in an oven-safe baking dish; coat zucchini with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the bread crumbs in a bowl and mix with olive oil or melted butter.
4. Remove zucchini from oven when done. Sprinkle with cheese and then bread crumb mixture. Sprinkle some additional kosher salt and bake uncovered for 8 minutes. Serve hot.
VARIATION: Brush zucchini with minced garlic before covering with cheese and bread crumb mixture.
NOTE: When I make it, I like to use all three! The garlic salad croutons added great flavor. If you don’t use flavored bread crumbs, add 1 tablespoon dried basil.