This beautiful and refreshing dessert (or appetizer) was concocted by my sister Frady when unexpected guests phoned that they would be dropping by. I was witness to its invention and was quite happy to be one of the lucky ones to taste her experiment. I think it will become a family favorite!
- 2 pink grapefruits -
- 4 large oranges -
- 3 to 4 kiwis -
- 5 clementines -
- 2 (16 oz each) cans pineapple chunks, drained -
- 1 cup pomegranate arils (optional) -
- Trifle Cream
- 2 containers (8 oz each) non-dairy dessert topping, defrosted -
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar -
- 1 cup coconut milk -
1. Cut away the peels of the fruits using a sharp knife. Cut a bit deeper than the skin, taking off the outermost part of the flesh as well. Then slice crosswise, creating circles.
2. Place a layer of grapefruit slices at the bottom of the bowl. Fill in any spaces with additional pieces of grapefruit. Make another layer on top of the grapefruit with oranges, and fill in any spaces with pieces of additional oranges. Add a layer of pineapple chunks on top of the orange. Continue adding layers of kiwis and clementines. Repeat until you’ve used all the fruit. Cover and refrigerate until almost eady to serve.
3. For the Trifle Cream, whip dessert topping along with confectioner’s sugar until stiff peaks form. Add coconut milk and mix again for half a minute. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Shortly before serving, top layered fruit with cream and sprinkle pomegranate arils on top if desired.
NOTE: The amounts listed here are for a rather large trifle bowl. Since everyone’s bowls are different sizes, you may need to adjust the amounts a bit.