You don't have to love coconut to go for this recipe. You can serve it topped with chocolate syrup or in an actual coconut for a stunning dessert presentation.
- 1 cup dessicated coconut (or coarsely shredded dried coconut) -
- 10 eggs (8 separated, 2 whole) -
- 1½ Tbsp vanilla sugar -
- ½ cup of oil -
- 1¼ cups sugar -
1. Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool.
2. In an electric mixer fitted ith a whisk, whip 8 yolks with vanilla sugar and oil until light. Add the 2 whole eggs and whip until stiff.
3. In a second bowl, beat 8 egg whites until foamy. Gradually add the sugar and beat until whites are stiff and peaks form.
4. Combine the two beaten mixtures by folding them together using a spatula. Add most of the toasted coconut into the mixture and fold lightly.
5. Freeze in a 9 x 13-inch pan, well-covered. At serving time, scoop into individual serving dishes and sprinkle with reserved coconut.
TIP: Save some of the toasted coconut for garnishing