- 9 eggs, 7 separated and 2 whole -
- 2 cups sugar, divided -
- 1 cup vegetable oil -
- 1 package vanilla sugar -
- 1 cup less -
- 2 Tbsp potato starch -
- ½ cup cocoa -
- 1 tsp baking powder -
- Pinch of salt -
- ½ cup ground nuts (filberts, walnuts, coconut), optional -
- 2 tsp prepared coffee, cooled -
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line the baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Beat the egg whites until peaks start to form.
3. Add half a cup of the sugar and beat until the whites are stiff and glossy.
4. In a second bowl, beat together the egg yolks, whole eggs and remaining sugar. Add the oil and vanilla sugar until it is lemoncolored. 5. In a third bowl or Ziploc bag, combine the remaining ingredients.
6. Using a very large bowl, add half of each of the three mixtures, starting and ending with the egg whites. Fold all of the mixtures together well, but gently.
7. Pour the combined batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50–60 minutes.
VARIATIONS: Fold in chocolate chips or spread the top of the cake with NUT BUTTER.
This recipe appeared in Kosher Inspired Issue 4, April 2011. Kosher Inspired is a project of Mishpacha Magazine.