For this recipe, I use beef shank, also known as osso bucco (Italian for
- 2 Tbsp canola oil -
- 4 onions, sliced -
- 4 pieces osso bucco -
- 2 cups button mushrooms -
- Barbecue Sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup -
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste -
- ¼ cup brown sugar -
- ¼ cup cider or white vinegar -
- 1 Tbsp olive oil -
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced -
- 4 tsp low sodium soy sauce -
- 2 tsp dried mustard powder -
1. Set the slow cooker on high and pour in the oil. Add the onions and the mushrooms and let cook for 3-5 minutes.
2. Rinse the meat and pat it dry. Place it in the slow cooker, on top of the onions and mushrooms.
3. Mix all the ingredients for the sauce until combined and then spread it over the meat in the slow cooker.
4. Cook on high for 5-6 hours and then lower to medium-low until ready to serve. Tastes great served with sides of rice and a leafy green salad.
This recipe appeared in Kosher Inspired, Issue 2, Feb 2011. Kosher Inspired is a project of Mishpacha Magazine.