This is a different and beautiful version of sushi that anyone can make. It
- 2 cups sushi rice -
- 3 cups water -
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar -
- 2 Tbsp sugar -
- 1 tsp table salt -
- Toppings options
- Small seedless cucumbers -
- Avocado (See Note) -
- Fresh salmon -
- Lox (3 to 4 oz) -
1. Place the rice and water in a pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and cook for 12 minutes. Remove pot from heat but leave covered for 10 minutes more.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the vinegar, sugar, and salt together until dissolved. Add to rice and mix for 5 minutes or until cool.
3. Line a 10-inch round springform pan with plastic wrap. Cut desired toppings into very thin slices or wedges and arrange in the bottom of the pan in an attractive design. Place rice on top and press gently to form a smooth layer. Cover again with plastic wrap and place another round pan (or the bottom of another springform pan) onto the rice and weigh it down with cans. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
4. Undo sides of springform pan and remove. Place a large round plate over rice and carefully flip the “pizza” over onto it. Remove plastic and slice pizza into wedges. Serve with wasabi or soy sauce.
NOTE: I prepared the whole pizza in advance, but added the avocado just before serving to avoid browning.