The flavorful juices of fresh strawberries are absorbed by the sponge cake, making it moist and delicious. This cake is an excellent way to make a big statement with very little effort.
- 6 eggs -
- 1 cup sugar -
- ¼ cup canola oil -
- ½ cup orange juice -
- 1½ cups flour -
- 1 tsp vanilla -
- 1 pint fresh strawberries -
- ¼ cup sugar -
- ¼ cup orange juice -
- 2 cups whipped cream -
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place eggs in an electric mixer fitted with a beater and beat on high speed for a full five minutes. Add sugar and beat 3 to 4 minutes longer on high speed. Lower to medium speed and add all remaining ingredients. Mix just until flour disappears.
3. Trace the outline of a 9-inch round aluminum baking pan on a piece of parchment paper and cut out a circle. (Don’t use a pan with a non-stick Teflon coating.) Place parchment paper circle in bottom of pan and pour batter in.
4. Bake for 50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile wash and hull strawberries, cut into thin slices and place in a large bowl. Add sugar and orange juice and mix gently. Let sit 20 to 30 minutes.
6. Use a sharp knife around edge of pan to loosen sides of cake. Invert pan onto a platter and remove cake from pan.
7. Cut cake in half horizontally, using a long bread knife to help you cut it evenly.Remove the top and place half the strawberries on bottom half, spreading them evenly. (Use a slotted spoon or your fingers to remove berries from bowl. Some juices will still cling to them.) Spread 1 cup of whipped cream on top of berries. Place top of cake on top of whipped cream, gently pressing it down. Spread remaining whipped cream onto top center of cake and top with remaining berries.