These are definitely not your average chocolate chip cookies. The spices and added crystallized ginger give a warm and spicy flavor that complements the chocolate chips beautifully.
- ½ cup margarine or butter -
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed -
- ½ cup molasses -
- 1½ cups + 1 Tbsp flour -
- 1 tsp ground ginger -
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon -
- ¼ tsp ground cloves -
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg -
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder -
- 1 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1½ tsp hot water -
- ¾ cup good-quality mini chocolate chips -
- 5 to 6 pieces of crystallized ginger, very finely chopped -
- ½ cup sugar for coating -
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the beater attachment, cream margarine or butter with brown sugar until light. Add molasses and mix. Meanwhile, combine flour in a mixing bowl with ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa. Add to creamed mixture, along with dissolved baking soda. Mix just until combined.
2. Stir in chocolate chips and chopped crystallized ginger. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 325°F. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar, coating them completely. Place balls 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.