You can make the sauce and marinate the fish in it overnight. Bake the fish up to 2 hours before the meal and keep it at room temperature until you serve it.
- 4 whitefish steaks or 4 pieces tilapia -
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (approximately) -
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed -
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes -
- 1 jalapeno pepper, grated (discard seeds) -
- 3 heaping Tbsp tomato paste -
- 2 tsp sugar -
- ½ orange bell pepper, thinly sliced -
- ½ yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced -
- ½ lb okra, sliced crosswise in 1-inch pieces -
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Rinse fish and pat dry.
2. In a large skillet, sauté the garlic in olive oil until fragrant (not brown). Add the remaining ingredients (except the fish) in the order in which they appear, stirring to combine after each addition. Let cook for about 15 minutes on low heat, or until the peppers and the okra begin to soften slightly. Let sauce cool.
3. Place fish in an oven-safe dish and pour cooled sauce over to cover completely. Cover well and bake for about half an hour.