Sole is a fish that is low in fat and high in protein. This recipe has an excellent, if not slightly unusual combination of flavors that you are sure to enjoy.
- 4 fillets of sole (5 oz each) -
- ½ tsp grilling spice or Montreal steak spice -
- 1 tsp cumin -
- ½ tsp paprika -
- 1 lemon -
- 1 onion, diced -
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced -
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced -
- 2 Tbsp capers -
- Juice of half a lemon, freshly squeezed -
- 1 tsp kosher salt -
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper -
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (divided use) -
1. Rinse sole fillets and pat dry. Mix grilling spices, cumin and paprika together in a small bowl. Cut lemon into wedges.
2. Combine all sauce ingredients in a second bowl. Preheat saucepan with 1 tablespoon oil. Add ingredients for sauce and let cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Cook until the juices have evaporated and tomatoes are very soft, about 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat a second frying pan with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or butter). Once hot, place as many of the sole fillets as will fit in the pan without overlapping, and squeeze a wedge of lemon over them. Cook on one side for about 2 to 3 minutes, then turn them over. Sprinkle both sides of fish with spice mixture while cooking. Cook on the other side until just starting to brown. Remove from heat and pour sauce over fish. Serve warm or at room temperature.