The sauce is a nice change from standard barbeque sauces and marinades. It is low in fat and high in taste.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped or grated -
- 2 cloves garlic, minced -
- 2 Tbsp olive oil -
- ¼ tsp chili powder or crushed red pepper flakes -
- ¼ tsp ground cumin -
- ¼ tsp paprika -
- 6 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves -
- Shredded lettuce (optional) -
- Chopped tomato (optional) -
- Avocado slices (optional) -
1. In a small saucepan, cook onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, and paprika. Cook for 1 minute.
2. Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Brush half the onion mixture over chicken.
3. Preheat BBQ to medium heat. Grill chicken, uncovered, directly over medium heat, for 6 minutes. Turn chicken over and brush with remaining onion mixture. Grill for 6 to 8 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. (If you prefer to broil the chicken, place chicken on the rack of a broiler pan. Broil chicken 5 to 6 inches from the heat for 10 to 12 minutes, turning once and brushing with remaining onion mixture.)
4. Serve with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, and avocado slices, if desired.